According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, treatment of chronic diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, accounts for 86 percent of our nation's healthcare costs. Chronic diseases are responsible for 7 in 10 deaths each year in the United States.
These statistics are especially tragic because almost everyone who has health insurance can take advantage of preventive services free of charge. Preventive services include screenings and exams such as immunizations, HIV screening, diet counseling, cholesterol screening, and STI counseling among many others. Regular screenings can help reduce health risks and save lives and money, through early detection.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) would like to:
• Understand the obstacles that prevent people from taking advantage of preventive services
• Identify ways to encourage healthy individuals to participate in regular preventive care, especially since it’s already covered under their plan
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois has used many tactics over the years to try and encourage our members to take advantage of their preventive screenings. But now it’s time for us to get more creative!
Here’s what we’ve done in the past:
• Built the Healthy Families app to educate and track preventive services
• Run countless email campaigns, some with incentives and prizes, some without
• Published an annual Preventive Care Guide
• Published a detailed list of 100% covered preventive services
• Sent postcards to members’ homes as a reminder
Submit a response to each of the following:
1) Define a PERSONA for your solution. Personas are based on a typical user and are based on psychographic research. Remember that the persona must be healthy and unengaged with us with free preventive services available to them.
2) What OBSTACLES prevent this persona from taking advantage of these free preventive services?
3) WHERE and HOW does this persona want to engage with us?
4) HOW and WHEN can we better educate this persona on services they can get free of charge as an insured member?
5) WHAT can we do to better persuade this persona to go to the doctor for preventive care services like checkups and flu shots?
Bonus: How would you define and measure success of your plan?
For your submission to be considered, you must answer ALL 5 questions. We suggest you spend most of your time on questions #4 and #5.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois is an established brand with access to a wide range of healthcare resources. Winning submissions will propose outside the box ideas that utilize our existing programs in new ways or propose radical, entirely-new processes.
|Top 5 share 7500||Next 5 share 2500|
|1500||Mia DiMeglio University of Connecticut|
|1500||James Calixto Cornell University|
|1500||Drew Park University of Southern California|
|1500||Maximilian Mezzomo New York University|
|1500||Bryan Hahm University of Michigan|
|500||Johanna Gunawan Northeastern University|
|500||Dominique Barksdale University of New Haven|
|500||Gustav Cappaert American University|
|500||bmarin University of Notre Dame|
|500||Jacob Ahl Sdsmt|