We're very excited about our new flowable ice product, but are having trouble finding the best way to make it a success from a business perspective. Check out the benefits and drawbacks of flowable ice below, and let us know the best way for us to share it with the world!
Benefits: Flowable ice is a freely flowing frozen powder that consists of 95% frozen ice and 5% fat. Because flowable ice can be stored as a powder, it can be used as an "ingredient" to make new products. The powdered ice can be mixed with a concentrated syrup to form sorbets or with aerated milk based concentrates to make fun new ice creams.
Drawbacks: When frozen (below 0 °C), it flows like it is made of a fine powder but cakes and agglomerates as soon as it starts to melt. This issue with melting/agglomerating means the product fails surprisingly quickly when exposed to room temperature. This makes transport, handling outside of a frozen environment, and finding a feasible market for this new treat difficult.
Bring a flowable ice consumer experience to the market:
1. What is your frozen treat product or experience that utilizes flowable ice?
2. How does your product create a business advantage over current frozen treats? (See Criteria for more detail)
3. How does your flowable ice idea avoid the issue of quick-melting at room temperature?
4. (optional) Charts, mock-ups, presentations, images, or any other visuals that support your argument
- Question 2 will be the most important part of your solution, complete the following to answer it completely:
*How does your idea make money?
*What is the advantage of using flowable ice from a consumer perspective?
*What is the advantage of using flowable ice from our perspective as it's manufacturer?
*What is the advantage of using flowable ice to create your frozen treat, as opposed to making similar products using established technology and routes to market?
- Extra consideration will be given to products that give a novel, unique, and appealing consumer experience
Things to avoid:
- Concepts that involve exposure of the ice powder to ambient temperatures for prolonged periods as the powder will agglomerate and fail
- Ideas that have an extreme environmental impact during product lifecycle (manufacturing, delivery, consumption)
|Top 5 share 7500||Next 5 share 2500|
|1500||vponomarenko San Diego State University|
|1500||Erod Keaton Baybay Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University|
|1500||SIRANJEEVI D National Institute of Technology Trichy|
|1500||Patrick Bowers Wayne State University|
|1500||Kristi Kan University of Maryland|
|500||Kirby Koch Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University|
|500||Matthew Smith University of Tennessee|
|500||Balyssa Bell University of Iowa|
|500||Angelyn Crawford University of North Texas|
|500||Joshua Simons University of Illinois|