Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis is a devastating disease that ultimately leads to death. The median survival after diagnosis is 2-3 years with a continuous worsening of the disease (breathlessness, limited exercise capacity, need for oxygen). The cause of IPF is unknown. Individuals with IPF may experience symptoms such as breathlessness during activity, a dry and persistent cough, chest discomfort and finger clubbing. The disease is most common in males between 50 to 70 years old.
Completing a daily exercise routine within a pulmonary rehabilitation program (that also include disease education, nutrition and psychosocial support) has been shown to improve IPF patients mobility. However, outside of the hospital, it is difficult to keep IPF patients involved with the continuos exercise training and breathing techniques that can improve their quality of life. How can we prevent patients from becoming apathetic or forgetful about these routines?
Propose a system to incentivize IPF patients to participate in a short, daily exercise and breathing techniques routine:
1. What is your incentive system?
2. How will your system be implemented?
3. Why will your system be effective for the age range of most IPF sufferers (60 and above)?
Things to consider:
- Because of the age range of the patients, many will not be as familiar with technology such as smart phones, so it may be best to avoid solutions that are tech heavy (unless it is highly simplified)
- Winning submissions will clearly outline a method to encourage IPF patients to participate in daily physical and breathing exercise routine
|Top 5 share $750||Next 5 share $250|
|$150.00||Pedro Simplicio University of Great Falls|
|$150.00||Joseph Herbert University of Akron|
|$150.00||Barun Das University of Texas at Austin|
|$150.00||Lexi Frankel University of Miami|
|$150.00||wil scott University of British Columbia|
|$50.00||Rishi Sinha University of California at Berkeley|
|$50.00||Preston Morrison University of South Alabama|
|$50.00||Zachary Risher Texas A&M University|
|$50.00||Nicolas Posada Chiari Georgia Institute of Technology|
|$50.00||Will Ellis University of Michigan|