As we move into the future, it's important that product development tools move along with us. Fusion 360 is Autodesk’s integrated platform for taking a product through it’s initial design, simulating its use, and preparing it for manufacturing. It brings all of these steps together on one cloud-based platform for teams to collaborate like never before.
Our goal is for as many students as possible to try Fusion 360, so whether you're a CAD software veteran or this is your very first time creating a 3D model, we'd love to see your work! Fusion 360 is free for students and available on Mac or PC - so download it now and start designing today.
Use Fusion 360 to customize a droid head:
1a. Click here to download Fusion 360 (Click the orange "DOWNLOAD FREE TRIAL" button, students can use the software for free indefinitely)
1b. Click here to download the droid body template for this challenge and import into Fusion 360 (watch an import tutorial)
2. Design a droid head with Fusion 360 (watch a droid design tutorial)
3. Render an image of your design (watch a rendering tutorial)
4. Upload to the Fusion 360 gallery using the hashtag #MindSumo, and post the URL to your design as your solution (watch a gallery upload tutorial)
Optional bonus activity:
5. Write a short summary of the details of your design and what you liked and did not like about Fusion 360 (1-2 paragraphs)
Things to consider:
- All of the tutorials linked here were made for this project specifically and should be extremely helpful- Click here to view all the tutorials in order!
- Don't fret if your design isn't entirely complete or functional, as noted above, we want as many students as possible to try out Fusion 360!
- There's lots of opportunities to get creative with your droid head. Feel free to add antennas, lights, lasers, cameras, and anything else you think is fun or interesting!
- Winning submissions will be chosen for any of the following reasons:
Creative/fun use of Fusion 360 software
Detailed designs with unique functionality
Sharing of design on social media and with friends
Written insights into your design and Fusion 360 in general
|Winner receives 5000||Next 10 share 10K|
|5000||Lee Warnick Georgia Southern University|
|1000||Sulaiman Ambusaidi Washington State University|
|1000||Jake Sage University of Central Florida|
|1000||Alvin Chang University of California at Davis|
|1000||Sanidhya Gupta Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay|
|1000||Maximilian Mezzomo New York University|
|1000||Dan Foulds University of Virginia|
|1000||Heath Palmer University of Cincinnati|
|1000||Christopher Coyne University of Michigan|
|1000||Matthew McGuinness The University of Tampa|
|1000||John Quattrocchi University of Pittsburgh|