As we move into the future, it's important that product development tools move along with us. Fusion 360 is Autodesk’s integrated platform for taking a product through it’s initial design, simulating its use, and preparing it for manufacturing. It brings all of these steps together on one cloud-based platform for teams to collaborate like never before.
Our goal is for as many students as possible to try Fusion 360, so whether you're a CAD software veteran or this is your very first time creating a 3D model, we'd love to see your work! Fusion 360 is free for students and available on Mac or PC - so download it now and start designing today.
Use Fusion 360 to customize a droid head:
1a. Click here to download Fusion 360 (Click the orange "DOWNLOAD FREE TRIAL" button, students can use the software for free indefinitely)
2. Design a droid head with Fusion 360 (watch a droid design tutorial)
3. Render an image of your design (watch a rendering tutorial)
4. Upload to the Fusion 360 gallery using the hashtag #MindSumo, and post the URL to your design as your solution (watch a gallery upload tutorial)
Optional bonus activity:
5. Write a short summary of the details of your design and what you liked and did not like about Fusion 360 (1-2 paragraphs)
Things to consider:
- All of the tutorials linked here were made for this project specifically and should be extremely helpful- Click here to view all the tutorials in order!
- Don't fret if your design isn't entirely complete or functional, as noted above, we want as many students as possible to try out Fusion 360!
- There's lots of opportunities to get creative with your droid head. Feel free to add antennas, lights, lasers, cameras, and anything else you think is fun or interesting!
- Winning submissions will be chosen for any of the following reasons:
Creative/fun use of Fusion 360 software
Detailed designs with unique functionality
Sharing of design on social media and with friends
Written insights into your design and Fusion 360 in general
|Winner receives $500||Next 10 share $1,000|
|$500.00||Lee Warnick Georgia Southern University|
|$100.00||Sulaiman Ambusaidi Washington State University|
|$100.00||Jake Sage University of Central Florida|
|$100.00||Alvin Chang University of California at Davis|
|$100.00||Sanidhya Gupta Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay|
|$100.00||Maximilian Mezzomo New York University|
|$100.00||Dan Foulds University of Virginia|
|$100.00||Heath Palmer University of Cincinnati|
|$100.00||Christopher Coyne University of Michigan|
|$100.00||Matthew McGuinness The University of Tampa|
|$100.00||John Quattrocchi University of Pittsburgh|