Boost your job application by writing a great cover letter and highlighting a real project from MindSumo in your resume. Learn More >
Sample cover letter for Internship position at goldman sachs
September 27, 2015
Recruiting Manager, Investment Banking
123 North Street, Suite 34
Chicago, IL 12345
Dear Ms. Doe:
I am a University of Notre Dame senior majoring in Finance and Accounting. I am interested in interviewing for the investment banking analyst position at Goldman Sachs and have conducted informational interviews with Janet Allen, Liz Small and Jonathan Smith. I attended the Sept. 20 Goldman Sachs on-campus presentation where I spoke to a number of bankers including Joe Derby and Ashish Seth. I became enthusiastic about working for Goldman Sachs for many reasons, including its strong culture emphasizing teamwork, its excellent training program and the opportunities for analysts to assume greater responsibility. I am confident that the finance knowledge I am gaining from my academics, along with the following skills and experience, will help me make an immediate and positive contribution to your company.
- Strong Academic Credentials – 3.9 GPA at Notre Dame, and I was the valedictorian of my high school class.
- Relevant Work Experience – During the summer, I interned with the investment banking group at Jefferies in New York. , where I worked in the investment banking group. I really enjoyed working on initial public offerings as well as merger and acquisition pitch books and transactions. Prior to that, as a wealth management intern at AXA Advisors, I had exposure to different financial products and interacted with high net-worth individuals. My internship with ICBC, one of the largest banks in China, enabled me to improve my research and quantitative skills as well as to deepen my knowledge of the financial industry.
- Financial Modeling, Accounting and Valuation Training – I strengthened my modeling and valuation skills by completing an intensive four-week valuation and financial modeling training program at the Wall Street Immersion Program in New York. I can build complex financial models utilizing Microsoft Excel.
- Leadership, Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills – Having studied and worked in China, the U.K. and the U.S., I have worked with people from different cultures and developed strong interpersonal skills. Furthermore, as the president of the Finance Club at Notre Dame, I led our team in collaborating on various projects, including leading an initiative that brought 50 students interested in banking to New York City during the winter break last year.
- Presentation, Writing and Technical Skills – At AXA Advisors, I made presentations on my projects to other financial advisors. As president of the Finance Club, I regularly made presentations to our members. I have participated in various investment banking case competitions, and wrote papers on the IPO of Facebook as well as the acquisition of Heinz. In addition to Microsoft Excel, I am proficient in other tools, including Bloomberg, Capital IQ, Stata and Matlab.
I am very excited about meeting with you to discuss the specific contributions I could make to your firm. If you have any questions, please contact me at 123-123-1234 or email@example.com. Thank you for your time and consideration.
See our template for making your own punchy cover letter