Your personal computer has evolved over the last 30 years from a large desktop, to a portable laptop, to the thin 2-in-1 detachable PC/tablets in the market today. New technologies such as bendable/scrollable displays, high bandwidth wireless connections, new human interface technologies, component miniaturization and ever increasing battery density have the potential to drive new interesting form factors and device categories into the market.
If you were to design your own future personal computer in 2020, what would it look like? What will it be capable of doing and what problems will it solve?
Design what the future personal computer device will look like in 2020:
What does it look like? How would you use it?
What’s new or different from what we already see today?
How would this computer interact with other devices, objects and people?
Give a detailed visual description of what your experience looks like
Use drawings, sketches, mock-ups, graphs or any other visuals that support your design (even a rudimentary sketch is fine- entries will not be judged on artistic merit)
Things to consider:
- There will be huge advances in many technological fields that are currently in their infancy. Consider and call out the specific technologies and assumptions that make your design possible. Some examples consider as “realities” in this time frame include:
- Flexible/foldable/scrollable and projected displays
- High bandwidth, low latency wireless connections (5G wireless, next gen 802.11)
- Wireless & fast charging / innovative forms of energy storage and harvesting
- Smaller compute / miniaturization of technology
- Gesture/camera/voice based human interfaces
- Powerful cloud based server farms with various services
- Don’t limit yourself to the existing infrastructure of devices and capabilities today – think through new categories such as wearables, head displays, or even categories that do not exist today.
- Winning submissions will be determined by the novelty and creativity of the design, description and illustrations.
|Top 5 share 7500||Next 5 share 2500|
|1500||Thomas Fisher University of Alabama|
|1500||X X East Tennessee State University|
|1500||Michael Mierzejewski University of Waterloo|
|1500||Andrew McDowell George Mason University|
|1500||Bryan Barton Clemson University|
|500||Pedro Simplicio University of Great Falls|
|500||Logan Ruths Metropolitan State University of Denver|
|500||Trevor Hackman Southern Polytechnic State University|
|500||Matthew Smith University of Tennessee|
|500||Jack Ferrell Hofstra University|