Until relatively recently, live, broadcasted television programming dominated almost all video content consumed by viewers. Today, video can be streamed via services like Netflix and Hulu and on user generated content hubs such as YouTube and Vimeo, or downloaded legally and illegally in addition to traditional satellite and cable television packages. Viewers can watch on phones, tablets, projectors, laptops and even 3D and 4K TVs.
Advertising helps pay for a portion of the tremendous costs it takes to make quality programming. However advertising is struggling to keep up with the advancements in technologies and mediums in which video content is viewed. As technological advancements continue to create new ways to consume video, how can advertising fit into these new video experiences without being obtrusive?
Your submission should tell us how you currently consume video content, what's wrong with ads currently, and a creative new way present ad content in a way that isn't painful.
Propose a new way for advertising to be presented with video content:
1. How do you currently view video content? Please include device (laptop, tablet, phone, tv, etc.), service (Netflix, YouTube, cable, satellite, pirating, etc.), and content type (movies, series, gaming streams, sports, etc.).
2. Thinking about the ways you consume content above, what is the ideal way for advertising to be presented to you?
What would that experience ideally look like?3. Why is this method the most enjoyable and least obtrusive for the viewer?
What device would you be using?
What would you be watching?
How would the ad experience fit into your viewing experience?
Bonus: Record a short video (3 minutes or less, shorter is better!) explaining your solution and post a YouTube or DropBox link at the top of your submission.
Things to consider:
- We must present ads! Suggesting that we don’t include advertisements is not acceptable. We’re looking for the least-obtrusive but still-effective method to do so.
- When/what/why/how! We want to understand your ideal advertising viewing experience. Provide examples of what show/network/ad format is a great place to start but be sure to provide clear and concise details.
- Get creative! Including ideas for things like interactive advertisements and other formats we may have never heard of is ideal.
- Details please! Go into as much detail as possible when discussing your viewing habits, we want to know!
|Top 5 share $750||Next 5 share $250|
|$150.00||Alison Appelbaum University of Southern California|
|$150.00||Lauren Wachenfeld Washington University in St. Louis|
|$150.00||Dylan Giovanetto Liberty University|
|$150.00||Richard Sheng Vanderbilt University|
|$150.00||Mrigank Jha Purdue University|
|$50.00||Lindsey Farley University of Central Florida|
|$50.00||Alex Mullen University of Central Florida|
|$50.00||Ashtonn Gregory University of Central Florida|
|$50.00||Nayantara Chaisson Lehigh University|
|$50.00||Samuel Lagerstrom Bates College|